Heat & Cool Efficiently – Tune Up Your Equipment Yearly
Just like tuning up your car can increase your gas mileage, a yearly tune-up and maintenance of your HVAC system can improve efficiency and comfort! And since as much as half of the energy used in your home goes to heating and cooling, according to EnergyStar.gov, improving efficiency can save you money!
Here are a few reasons why we think proper maintenance is important:
1. Regular maintenance is almost always less costly than a repair job.
We can’t guarantee that your air conditioner will break down if you skip your tune up. But if you air conditioner does malfunction, you can bet that the repair will cost more than a tune-up would have.
Tune ups can’t stop all AC problems from happening. Yet, in our years of experience we’ve found that 50% of cooling problems could have been prevented by annual maintenance.
That’s right, half.
During a tune up, your technician can detect small problems and fix them before they become big problems. You will have saved yourself the higher cost – and the bigger hassle – of a repair service call down the road.
But what if most major parts of your air conditioner are covered under warranty? Well, there is something you should know about your warranty.
2. Neglecting regular maintenance can void your warranty.
Most new air conditioners come with a limited warranty from the manufacturer. But did you know that your warranty might require you to keep your AC maintained?
Warranty certificates from Lennox, Trane and Comfortmaker all make this clear. These companies won’t provide replacement parts unless your air conditioner was regularly maintained by an HVAC professional.
Check your warranty certificate for yourself. You can find this clause under a section called “Eligibility Requirements,” “Exclusions,” or something similar.
This policy is a win-win. HVAC manufacturers know that a well-maintained air conditioner is less likely to need a warranty part in the first place.
3. A well-maintained air conditioner lasts longer than one that isn’t.
Regular maintenance leads to fewer repairs and can prolong your air conditioner’s lifespan. The reverse is also true. Neglecting proper AC maintenance can reduce its lifespan.
Keeping your air conditioner maintained will help make it last as long as possible. It will also run at higher efficiency throughout its lifespan, keeping your home cool and your family comfortable.
4. A tune up can increase efficiency and decrease cooling costs.
Every year you skip maintenance, your air conditioner’s operating efficiency can decrease by 5%.
Here are some of the reasons for this:
- Over time dust and debris collects on the coils. The evaporator coils, being indoors, attract mostly dust. But the outdoor condenser coils can become full of dirt, grass trimmings and even leaves. This build-up impedes airflow and blocks heat transfer. Meaning that your air conditioner won’t be able to cool your home as efficiently.
- Your condensate drain needs to be checked for clogs. A clog can hinder your system’s ability to control humidity. In extreme cases, a clogged condensate drain could even cause water damage to your home.
- Motor parts need lubrication. Lack of lubrication can cause friction which reduces operating efficiency.
- Blower components need periodic cleaning and adjustment. Otherwise, they can cause airflow problems which can result in up to a 15% efficiency loss.
- These and other standard tune up procedures can increase your air conditioner’s operating efficiency. This can translate cooling cost savings of up to 15%.
5. The EPA, EnergyStar and the USDE all recommend regular maintenance.
It turns out that we HVAC companies are not alone. The EPA, EnergyStar, and the U.S. Department of Energy all recommend regular or annual air conditioner maintenance. Mostly because of the energy efficiency benefits we mentioned above.
Ready to schedule AC maintenance?
Trust your next tune up to a trained, thorough Covenant Heating & Cooling technician. We have over 25 years combined experience in maintenance, installation and air conditioning repair. We’re also A+ rated by the Better Business Bureau, so you can be assured that we provide quality, value and most importantly comfort.
Plus, mention this post and you can get a tune-up for just $59 (regular $89).
Want the best value? Consider our Covenant Care Program.
If you do have a problem with your air conditioner, you’ll get perks such as:
- No overtime/after-hours charges
- 20 % discount on repairs
- Priority service
- We call you to schedule your next maintenance visit.
So, is a yearly AC tune up necessary? The choice is yours. Do you want all the short- and long-term benefits that come with annual air conditioner tune ups? Or is skipping AC maintenance a risk worth taking?